Sunday, January 28, 2007

Saturday's windy ride

Five women braved the wind and cold and showed up for yesterday's ride. Paula, Alix, Amy, Gwen and I fought a nasty headwind for almost two hours on our way out to Excelsior. Alix mentioned at one point that we were riding at about 11 mph...sweet. We stuck to the bike trails which were a little more sheltered than some of the open roads. We stopped at 318 in Excelsior to thaw out our bodies and our water bottles, and enjoyed some coffee, sugar, and chit-chat in front of the fireplace. We decided to take the straight-shot (Excelsior Blvd) home, and with the strong tailwind, I was back home in an hour. It was a great ride even though the weather was far from ideal.

It's a little early to put any merit into next weekend's forecast, but it's not looking good - highs in the single digits. Let's hope that changes (for the better) as the week progresses!

Sarah

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mid West Women's Cyclists! My husband and I are considering a move to Fargo, ND...I am an avid cyclist and was looking for a group to ride with and found your web page. Are you near Fargo? I have enjoyed reading your ride posts!! I applaud your bravery in riding the past couple of weeks...usually it has to be ~40 degrees for me to ride in Eugene..you inspired me..so last weekend I went with our group and it was 27 degrees...but warmed up to 38 by the end of the ride. How do you ride in 15 degrees? :) Any information you can provide about cycling in the Fargo/Moorhead area would be much appreciated. Please email: Carolyn Kalish at ckalish1@comcast.net if you have any information! Thank you so much!
Carolyn

7:32 PM, January 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn, thanks for your comment!

We are actually based in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. This is about a 3 1/2 hr drive from Fargo, and I know we have had riders from the Fargo area participating in the program.

I have no doubt you'd find plenty of riders to join you if you moved to Fargo. I'll see if I can put you in direct contact with at least one cyclist I know from that area.

Riding in sub-30 degree temps is all about having the proper clothing, gear, and planning appropriately. You absolutely HAVE to have good shoe covers or cycling-specific winter boots, and serious (lobster-mitt) gloves. Annie has a good post on that somewhere below. Plus, of course, you have to be sufficiently desperate to swap the trainer for outside riding.

Good luck, keep us posted!

9:11 AM, February 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Paula! I would appreciate making contact with fellow cyclists. My husband is returning today from Fargo. He spent two days there interviewing for a new job. We should know very soon if we are going to make this move. I will be in touch!
Happy Riding!
~Carolyn

11:13 AM, February 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home